mardi 11 juin 2013

Interview : SICK FIX


Hi guys! Can you introduce yourself and describe the band?

Chris: Hi my name is Chris and i play drums in Sick Fix.

Michelle: HI I am Michelle and I "sing" in Sick Fix. We are a hardcore punk back from Baltimore/Washington DC


You're all Straight Edge. How did you get here? Is there a strong heritage about Ian MacKaye because he comes from here?

Chris: I'm straightedge for personal reasons. I had a problem at an early age with drug and alcohol abuse. Alcoholism and drug addiction also runs in my family.

Michelle: My favorite was an addict, my mother an alcoholic and I didn't want to travel that road. Also, I just found it to be one of the best ways to rebel against what society wanted me to be. I was expected to drink and do drugs because I was a teenager, then I was a young "adult", and so on.



In your song "1/3" from your new LP, you talk about the trouble in your city Baltimore. Can you tell us a little more? What do you want to change?

Michelle: The song 1/3 is about how about 6 years ago 1/3 of the homes in Baltimore were boarded up and "unlivable" while people are dying on the streets. Our city wasted tons of money on a campaign called "We Believe." We are supposed to "Believe" that Baltimore can beat its addiction problems, AIDS epidemic, poverty, violence, and so but just believing. All the money to put up just those billboards could have been used much more wisely to actually combat those issues. What do I want to change? EVERYTHING but I just don't know where to start.


How is your scene? There are a lot of concerts, place to play, labels, fanzines, associations...? You find your place?

Chris: Washington D.C. and Maryland have a great hardcore punk scene. I organize a lot of shows in D.C. as well. 

Michele: We are spoiled, so many bands, so many venues in Baltimore.


What's your relation with the label A389 recording?

Chris: Dom who runs the label is a good friend of ours and graciously agreed to put out our LP. We are all extremely excited for it to come out and are forever in his debt.

Michelle: Dom is one of the best dudes ever and we can't thank him enough for putting out our record


What are your other bands? 

Chris: I also play drums in Magrudergrind, Coke Bust, and D.O.C.

Michelle: just Sick Fix



You talk a lot about the women rights too. How the women are considered in USA? There are a lot of inequalities? Do you have some examples? 

Michelle: Women in many ways are still considered second class citizens. We continually have to fight for our reproductive freedoms and our right to choose what we want to do with out bodies. Recently there has been a right wing onslaught at the definition of rape and general lack of compassion for survivors of rape.


...And in the punk-hardcore scene? 

Michelle: I am very lucky to never have experienced inequality in the punk/hardcore scene. I know it happens. I know there are men still out there that think women don't belong and treat women like they are trash. There is still rape and abuse which should never ever be happening any where in the world, whether it is punk or regular society.


In one of your song, you talk about the death of a dog, victim of a inequality. Are you involved in the animal rights?

Michelle: The song is called Phoenix and it is about the plight of "pit bull" type dogs in USA. Pit bulls are the most abused and neglect type of dog in the USA. Not only are they used for dog fighting but many times are neglected and abused at the hands of the humans that should be caring for them. Put on top of that a media hysteria about "pit bulls" being a menace to society, a violence uncontrollable dog, and laws that actually ban them (across the world). I spend most of my time rescuing, fostering, rehabbing, and educating the public about this amazing type of dog. The guys in the band are vegan I am vegetarian. But I don't think just being vegan or vegetarian is enough. There are animals that need are help. There are cats and dogs dying in shelters who need temporary homes while the forever home is found. There are sanctuaries that need help with feeding and caring for rescued horses, donkeys, cows, and pigs. There is so much to do in the realm of animals rights other than diet.


I saw you at the Fluff Fest in Czech Republic, How was it? Did you enjoy your first European tour? What are your best/worst memories?

Chris: We were really nervous about playing fluff because it was our first show of tour but it ended up being a lot of fun. The tour was incredible. I don't think we could of asked for a better first tour over there. 

Michelle: Fluff fest like Chris said was our first show of tour and I was so nervous. It was amazing though. Best way to start tour. Europe was amazing. It was the best time of my life.


Do you have some plans with the band for the future?

Chris: Hopefully do another U.S. tour and keep things moving.


What are the best bands for you?

Chris: I'm currently listening to Red Dons, Bango, Selda, Zola Jesus, and Fleetwood Mac.

Michelle: Dinosaur Jr, Health Hazard, Judge, leatherface are all stuff I have in heavy rotation right now


Why "Sick Fix"?

Chris: It was a name that we just came up with. Nothing special haha.


Thank you for answering my questions! One things to conclude?

Chris: Thanks for the interview! I hope we can come back soon!

Michelle : Thank you

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire